Colm Toibin: The Testament of Mary


Petikan berikut begitu jelas gambaran emosi dan suasana yang ingin dilukiskan oleh pengarangnya. Tanpa mengetahui konteks cerita pun, ia dapat berdiri sendiri, ibarat lukisan berbingkai di dinding bilik sebuah hotel. 

* * *

THE TESTAMENT OF MARY, Colm Toibin

I loved watching my husband and my son walking together to the Temple, and I loved waiting behind to pray before setting out to the Temple alone, not speaking, looking at no one. I loved some of the prayers and the words read from the book aloud to us. I knew them and they came to mean soft comfort to me as I set out to walk home having listened to them. What was strange then was that in those few hours before sundown a sort of quiet battle went on within me between the after-sound of the prayers, the peace of the day, the dull noiseless ease of things, and something dark and disturbed, the sense that each week which passed was time lost that could not be recovered and a sense of something else I could not name that had lurked between the words of the book as though in waiting like hunters, or trappers, or a hand that was ready to wield the scythe at harvest time. The idea that time was moving, the idea that so much of the world remained mysterious, unsettled me. But I accepted it as an inevitable aspect of a day spent looking inward. I was glad nonetheless when the shadows melted into darkness at sundown and we could talk again and I could work in the kitchen and think once more of the others and of the world outside.

Comments

Popular Posts